Monday 27 April 2009

Kilgad Fishery - 14th March 2009

I had intended to get up early and head to moorbrook but being soo tired I woke up at 11.30am so that idea was out the window. I grabbed a bite of lunch and a shower and packed up the car and set out to find a spot for fishing, headed up to tildarg but turned away at the gate because of the 2 ft wave rolling down the lake and decided to head to Kilgad at Moorfields. After settling up the bill for a 4 hour catch and release and got set up. Set up with snowbee buzzer line and a holoneck on the point and a size 16 firefoil on the dropper. I headed around the lake and fished for about 20mins without a bite so changed the dropper to a lime rib olive buzzer , that i had tied and moved to the bay behind the spit of land and after about 10mins I cast out and was hit by a nice rainbow who gave me a good scrap. With it safely netted I fished on with no more luck,at that point forum member waterboy introduced himself and after a chat with him and mick i moved to the small lake and put an emerging black buzzer on point as a few fish where rising but to no luck.

I then stuck an orange egg on for the craic under an indicator and had a slamming take with a poor fight, the reason why?......it was a natural rainbow about 6 inches long so with it safely returned I stuck the olive buzzer back on and opted for a goldhead hares ear with a lime tail and fritz/dubbing body (I had tied it ages ago and never caught so thought id give it a whirl). I moved around to the point of the spit and cast out across the wind. With a fast figure 8 retrieve I hit into a fish which gave me a very good fight, everytime i got it near the net it made another run. I got it netted and it was at least 3.5lb, released safely back to fight another day. I cast out again and hooked into a fish which gave me the fright of my life, it hit me and leapt out of the water to give a nice aerial acrobatic performance and back into water, after about 5 mins it was netted, leaving me with a sore arm lol. I fished on a wee bit longer to no success. I then moved around to the bridge beside waterboy and was chatting to him and cast out bringing my flies in slowly when i got a nice hit and missed it, or so i thought the fish had taken the lime rib buzzer and swam towards me. With the line tight again i netted the fish. I fished on for another 30mins or so and called it a day. 

Overall a throughly enjoyable day with 5 fish in 2 and a bit hours so I was happy enough and will be back. 

Here is the Hares Ear and Lime Rib buzzer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I meant phenomenon by the way!